Sunday, March 26, 2017

How About Cooking Some Potato Salad.

I had the urge for potato salad the other day so I made a batch.  I just kept peeling potatoes so I had more than enough in the pot. There was enough leftover to make hash browns later.
I make a pretty decent potato salad that my family enjoys, as do I, so I'll post it here.

Ingredients:
3-4 Large Russet Potatoes, cubed
4-6 Large Eggs
1 Onion, chopped
1 Cucumber, sliced thinly with seeds removed
1 Heaping T. Yellow Mustard, or mustard of your choice.
2-3 Heaping T. Mayonnaise
Salt and Pepper, to taste

I peel and cube Russet potatoes.  I like them bite-size.

Since I like eggs in my salad, I boil them in the pot at the same time with the potatoes. The eggs I boil for 8 minutes.  The potatoes take a bit longer, around 12-15 mins. depending on their size.

While the potatoes are boiling, I chop one small  or medium yellow onion depending on how much I'm making.  You can use a red/purple onion if you like more color in your salad.  Set aside.

Scrub a cucumber clean.  Slice it in half lengthwise and with a spoon remove the seeds.  The wetness would make your salad watery so remove those seeds.


With seeds removed, slice cuke I half again, so its quartered, then slice very thinly across.  Set aside.

Remove the eggs after boiling 8 mins.  Cool the eggs under cold running water and bang them on the sink or counter all over so the shells are crackled completely.  It makes it easier to peel them.

I only like the yolks of eggs, so I discard the whites, or at least most of the whites.  I then break up the yolks with a fork so its rather fine.  Set aside.


When the point of a paring knife slides smoothly into a potato cube, the potatoes are done.

Drain the potatoes in a colander and run under cold water a few seconds.  In this case, I made too much for the potato salad, so put some in a separate bowl to make hash browns later.
If you don't want your mayo to absorb into the potatoes too much, put the potatoes in the fridge for 20-30 mins. to cool off before taking the next step.

In a large bowl, place about 1 heaping  tablespoon yellow mustard (or other mustard if you prefer a different flavor) and 2-3 heaping tablespoonsful of mayo.

Stir the two together so they are nicely combined.

Next, add the potatoes, onion, cucumber, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir together well.

Lastly, top the salad with your chopped eggs and stir in the eggs gently till all combined.  Taste it.  If you want more salt and pepper, add it now. 

Place salad in a covered container and refrigerate.  Keeps well for 3-4 days..... if it lasts that long.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment