Monday, September 3, 2018

Black Ducks on the River Today

I tried to get some pictures, but they either swam close to the water's edge where they were hidden or behind the parking sign.  In any case, there were black ducks on the river.
Its very difficult to see, but notice the black image above the railing just left of center.  That's one of about a half dozen black ducks on the river today.  By the time I unpacked my camera, they were moving out of site.  But they were all black in color.  I did not notice any other color on them unless it was dark gray so very little difference in shading though their bills may have had some color other than black.  I think maybe reddish, so they may be Coots or Moorhens.  Distance made it hard to see many details.

Its a hot day today, high 80s and humid.  Not usual for early September in this part of southern Maine but if it means a little longer summer, its fine.  According to the Farmer's Almanac, our winter will be long and cold and snowy this season.  Lots of days to stay indoors and make sure the cupboards are filled in case of power outages.  I have several battery lanterns so I will not be without light and I always keep a container of spare batteries ready.  Tins of tuna, sardines, fruits and peanut butter will keep me from starving.  Like a Girl Scout, I am usually Prepared.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment