Saturday, April 4, 2009

The contuing saga of getting my garden ready....

I just wanted to touch base with you all regarding the vertical supports for my Square Foot Beds.I checked out water pipe at the hardware store and Home Depot. Too darn costly. I think I'll go for metal fence posts. I found 7 footers in Home Depot for $6.90 each. One foot of them go into the ground. They are sturdy and made for all weather so they should work well for SQ FT Gardens. My only problem then would be the support across the top. I'm still trying to come up with something to hold cantaloupe and Sugar Baby watermelon without caving. I'll keep working on it.Home Dept and Lowe's had all kinds of treated lumber and decking but I won't use that. I want untreated lumber. Fir is readily available but won't last but a couple of years thru the cold winters. Pine is unavailable except for treated. No cedar for my pocket book this year.I think I'll go with spruce which should last 4-5 years. I'll cover my beds with plastic against the raging winters and hope that makes them last longer. If not, I'll just have to put in new ones some years from now. By then, I might not be in any shape to garden any longer. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment