Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I won't be gardening for awhile yet...

I have to admit I love the winter scenery. Its beautiful....

This is the view from my doorway to the driveway upper left. The sun on the snow across the lawn looks pretty.

Some of the trees never lost their brown leaves so the snow atop them is colorful.

Another view past my hosta garden beside the house.
I have to say the snow is lovely when its fresh and the day is sunny. Its cold tho, at only 20* at noon today. Brrrrr. I'm staying in today. The snowcover will be good for the garden beds. It'll keep the cold winds from damaging plants. But this is just the beginning of our Maine winter so we'll see much more of this white stuff and by February we'll be praying for anyting but snow.
I'll be posting the progress of my veggie garden as it happens.
Just a note: I think this year I'll be planting perennial herbs in pots that can go out during the spring and summer but come inside for the winter. I think that's a better plan than putting them in the raised beds. Things like Pesto Perpetuo Basil, Garlic Chives, Lemon Balm, Lemon Verbena, Spearmint, Roman Beauty Rosemary, and Stevia. I won't bother with the ones that need drying. Too much work when I can buy them in the bottle cheaper than growing them for one family.
Have a mild but good winter everyone with snow cover as the poor man's compost!

No comments:

Post a Comment