Sunday, August 27, 2017

Meat Loaf in Potato Nests

I just made these the first time today and they were terrific.  I will share.

I used a large-sized muffin tin 3 inches across.  This is a photo of the tin after my loaves were baked.

MEAT LOAF IN POTATO NESTS
Preheat oven to 400* F

3 Lg or 4 Medium Russet potatoes, well scrubbed
olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme, garlic pepper
1 lb Ground Beef (I used 80/20)
1 Lge Egg
2 Slices White Bread
1/4 Cup milk
Seaonings for meatloaf mixture:
Red Pepper Flakes, Parsley Flakes, Oregano, Season Salt, Garlic Pepper, Salt, Pepper

Rather than peel my taters, I trim off the 2 short ends, then trim away most of the peel on 4 sides to remove any blemishes.  Saves time not peeling and the skins that are left are tasty.

Slice taters thinly.

Place taters in a bowl.  Add olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme and garlic pepper to them and toss to coat.

Line the muffin tins with the thinly-sliced taters, all around the sides and the bottom.  You do NOT have to oil or spray the pan since the oiled taters are oily enough.

While the taters are pre-baking;   In a bowl, crumble up 2 slices white bread.  I put some on one hand and with the other hand I grind my palms together to make the crumbs really small.  I don't bother to use stale bread but any that is handy.

To the crumbs, add the milk, stir together, then add your seasonings.  I use Red Pepper Flakes, Oregano, Season-All, Thyme, garlic pepper, salt and pepper.
Mix them all together.

Put your ground beef on top and add your egg.  Stir them all together til they are mixed well.  I next  placed this bowl in the fridge while my taters were cooking.

After 20 mins in the oven, the taters are pre-baked.  Turn the oven down to 375* now and add your meatloaf mixture to the potato nests.

I found 1 lb of meat worked perfectly for six loaves.  Now place the pan right in the oven.  I didn't wait for the oven to cool down.  I wanted that extra bit of heat to help brown my meat right away.
You need to bake at 375*F now for 20-30 mins. depending on how well you want your meat cooked.  Mine took the full 30 mins.

After 30 mins. mine looked like this above.

They are ready to serve.

Let them cool a few minutes so the meat will hold together a mite better.  With the taters and the meat and a side of salad, these were a complete meal, thanks to the tater nests.

Everyone likes their own version of meat loaf so just follow thru with what you like best;  adding green peppers or onion to the meat mixture or maybe adding a topping of ketchup or tomato sauce over the tops the last 15 mins. of cooking?  Maybe some crumbled bacon over the tops?
I'm pretty much a meat and potatoes woman so I didn't need those extras and was very satisfied.  The taters are similar to the 2-Step Potatoes I make but without the sauteing and then the steaming at the finish.

I hope you try these and enjoy them as much as I have.  Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment