Friday, June 8, 2018

Our Local Snapping Turtle On A Stroll

I don't know if she was just going for a walk, or looking for a place to lay eggs, but our resident Snapping Turtle was out and about this gray and dreary morning around 7:30-ish.
 I was not close to her, fearing I would frighten her off, whatever her reason to journey.

As you can see from this side view, she's very rugged and has large features.

She chose to stay in this position for several minutes, not moving.  She's alongside the edge of the reservoir about 12 feet from shore.  I did not come closer, thinking, maybe she's laying some eggs.  She comes up to do that every June and this is the time for that now.

After that quiet time, she started on her rambles, then shortly turning around.

She then proceeded to head back to the river.


With a determined pace, she lost no time.  By the time I took the elevator up to my 2nd floor apt., she was gone from sight.  My last view was her only feet from the water's edge.

I may investigate her stopping place later when I take my dog out for her noon walk.  I will let you know what I find.

Have a nice day.


No comments:

Post a Comment