Monday, January 14, 2019

'Chicadees in Mufflers' Wall Hanging is Finished.

I finished my winter wall hanging, Chickadees in Muff
lers today.  Its 15 by 17 inches.   I made a wider border for it than the usual narrow one I have done in the past.
When you do borders this way, you need extra backing so you can pull fabric forward doubled.

To give you an idea of how this works:
First you need to pin together batting and backing to your subject.  I always like to cut the batting and backing just a bit larger than needed.  Its easier to trim it down to size that try to accurately cut them so precisely later when its been quilted.
I wanted a 1 1/2 inch of border so my batting was trimmed evenly to 1 1/2 inches beyond the edge of my subject fabric.
My Backing fabric was trimmed 3 1/2 inches beyond the edge of the batting.
That meant the backing for this 12 x 14 inch work of art had to be 22 by 24 inches.  I like being able to turn the borders twice for some substance, hence the double length of fabric beyond the batting.

In the above photo I have turned the backing down a second time over the batting. You want to cover the edge of the subject fabric so when you sew it down, there are no raw edges.

I also like to mitre my corners.  To do this, after folding down the two sides evenly and pinning in place, I now fold over the corner at an angle just to the outer edge of the batting for the first turn down.

For the final fold over, I turn the backing down over the mitre corners once, then evenly a 2nd time and pin it in place.   I always have my iron handy to press things evenly into place.

Using my Blind Hem Stitch, I stitch all around, even down the mitred corners.

Add a label on the back and you are done.  If you need a hanging sleeve, you need to get that down also.

I have some Fabric Collage in mind so I ordered some Swedish tracing paper, which is actually pattern paper, that I ordered from Nancy's Notions.  While I await its arrival I will work on my Canada Goose.

Sunny day here but cold only in the 20sF.  At least we have not had snow for several days.
Have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment