Saturday, August 22, 2015

Apples and More Apples!

I checked on the apples on my two dwarf trees today.  They are both looking good. 
How's this for a difference in size.  The Malus Honey Crisp on the left is 3 years older than the Benji Shogun Fuji apple on the right. 
 
Here's the Honey Crisp showing many green apples, though some are starting to ripen.
 
These are ripening, as you see.  Soon now I'll be able to harvest some.  I love their taste, crisp, white and juicy.  What's not to like in a Honey Crisp.
 
Even the Fuji, though young, is sporting some ripening apples this year.  I can't wait to test them.  It'll be the first year they've produced.
 
My other fruits trees, also dwarf, are the Almaden Duke Cherry on the left that gives many fruits but the birds always get them before I do.  I love seeing that my birds are well fed and kept healthy so I don't mind sharing this tree with them.  On the right is my Red Haven Peach that produces so well normally.
 
As you can see from this photo, my peach tree is lopsided.  That's due to a winter storm than tore a large branch off the right side of the tree.  Then in the spring it didn't produce any blossoms.  I think the tree was trying to recover from its injuries and maybe if I'm lucky, next year will give me a bounty of her large,  juicy, sweet, fruits.  They were so tasty I really missed them this year.
Before I sign off, I want you to see my ever-present shadow when I'm working in my gardens, my Penny, a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.
My best buddy, Penny.
Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. Your apples look way yummy!! I bet the birds love you for them delicious cherries!! :-)

    ReplyDelete