Monday, December 4, 2017

Easy Cross Hatch Quilting

I found a simple way to add cross hatching to my quilts.  I've used the disappearing ink method and the guide on my walking foot without success.  There's always a wobble here and there and with the chalk method, the chalk marks are wider than I like so the size of the cross hatches differs across the piece.
I love Painter's Tape.  Yup, the blue tape you have in your tool chest when you touch up something with a bit of paint in the house.

Its sticky enuf to stick to a piece of fabric, but not gluey enuf to make a mess when you remove it.  In fact it can be lifted and reused over and over.

First you want to get the first 2 or 3 accurate, so measure with your ruler to get a 45-degree angle for the first few.  Next, measure the distance you want between your stitches and stick the next 2 tape pieces on your quilt.

I found that once I did the first 3, I could just take a small ruler (My piece is a small wall hanging so it works just fine), and then reuse the tapes to align them across the whole piece.  In this case I set mine up for 1 1/2 inches apart on the stitching.  You know you are accurate when the stitching line before the one you are doing, is at double the distance.

When you begin the opposite direction, be sure to measure at your 45-degree angle for the first 2 tapes, then you can use the small ruler for the rest.

A closer look at the cross hatching.

Pengilly is finished and hanging on my door.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment