Thursday, April 12, 2018

Finished My Small Big Pocket Tote

I just needed to get working on this once the idea was planted in my head.  So I did.
Here are all my pieces.  The blues, both of them, are layered with batting and backing and sewn right sides together, then turned.  The inner pockets are doubled tea pot blue and white fabric, (no batting) and sewn the same way.   The handles are layered with batting and turned like the other 3-layer pieces.
Here all the layered bits are quilted before I start putting them together.

The inner pockets are marked with pencil for registration marks so I know where to sew my center line to attach it in the right place inside my bag and where to sew my pocket seams after I decide which sizes I want, depending on their purpose.

I place the handles on the bag and sew them in place BEFORE I sew down the outside pocket (the honey bee fabric).

After the outside big pocket is sewn in place, its time to fold the bag right sides together so I can stitch the outside seams on the bag.

Then its time to determine what width you want your bag which means you make gussets on both bottom ends.  For mine I liked 3 inches.  I sew them twice.

The bottom looks like this when the gussets are sewn and the bag is turned right side out.

I filled my small tote with the necessities I take when I go shopping from water thermos to tissue to sunglasses, etc.  Whatever I need to bring, it can fit in this new tote.


Here is my finished tote with a paperback book tucked into one of the outside big pockets.  I even have some shopping totes folded in my bag.  I'm ready to shop tomorrow.

Have a good day.

1 comment: