Friday, April 13, 2018

Measurements For Small Big Pocket Tote

I already showed you how I made it, but here are the measurements I used in case you want them.


Here it is and the finished numbers are:
Tote Bag:
12 inches Wide
10 inches Long
3 inches Deep
Outside Pockets 10 inches Wide
by 8 inches Long

Note, the big pocket piece (honey bees) wraps around from front to back giving you a more solid bottom.

Finished Inside pockets made from doubled fabric are:
9 1/2" Wide
8" Long
This wraps across the bottom as well.

Note:   I cut all my pieces just a bit larger than the desired measures so I can layer them together and cut them all at the same time to get an even cut all around on all of them.
The first step is to layer them batting down first, backing fabric on top of batting right side up, and main fabric right side down and then cut them to the proper sizes given.

Alternate Fabric for the body of the Tote:
Cut 17" Wide by 25" long.  You have to layer your batting, the alternate fabric, and your backing together and cut them to this size.
You will need 2 pieces of fabric (Alternate fabric and Backing fabrics) and the batting.

Big Pocket Fabric in your Main fabric choice:
Cut 11" Wide by 20" Long
Repeat with the 3 layers once again as you did with the Alternate trio.

Inside Pocket fabric can be any choice you like, from a muslin to the main fabric to the alternate or anything in between.  It is, after all, inside the tote.
You need only two pieces the same cut since no batting is used in these inside pockets.
Cut 2 pcs. 10" Wide by 17" Long

Handle Fabric you need four strips (2 fabrics for each of the 2 handles) and 2 pieces of batting.
Cut 19" Long by 2 1/2" Wide
Note:  I cut them all a bit wider and longer and then cut them to the size I wanted.

In all cases where there is batting involved in the piece, you layer them:
Batting down on the table first
Backing fabric right side up.
Main fabric or Alternate fabrics (for Big Pocket or Tote itself) right side down.
Pin them together and sew a quarter inch seam all around, leaving about a 4" opening along the sides for turning..
Turn right-side out thru the opening, and press.  Stitch the openings closed.
Note:  I do NOT cut the points off my corners before turning.  I find that for me my points are sharper when uncut.

Remember when you have all your pieces and layers sewn together and turned right side out, (as above) you need to quilt your  2 layered pieces (the tote bag and the big pockets pieces).

I do not quilt the handles. I just stay stitch all around about a quarter inch from the outsides to reinforce the handles and give them strength, being sure to sew over the open end on both handles.

Gussets:   Are what make the depth of the bag.  You can make them any width you prefer and they are sewn after you sew the side seams of the tote bag together.

I hope the instructions are clear and some of you can use them.  I did this one in 2 days.  I could have finished it in one in my younger days but I can't sit at my sewing machine for more than a few of hours a day.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment