Wednesday, June 7, 2017

There's A 2nd Mamma Goose With Babies

Imagine my surprise when I looked out the window and saw a second mamma goose and her brood.  Her clutch is younger and there are only 3 or 4.  I couldn't count them in the tall grass.  But she's very caring and watching over them.  I don't know where their daddy is, but he wasn't on this stroll.

Its difficult to see her babies hiding in the grass.

Here's a view of both families.  In the foreground is the newer mom with her little ones.  The original family are in the back along the dam wall.

If you look closely, you can see the older and larger clutch behind the weeds. 
That's how I realized there was another Mamma.  I saw her first with her babies on the dirt road and thought to myself, 'Goodness, they look smaller than they did a day ago."  Then I realized my mistake.  They are different clutches.

Another look at the First Family.  They don't seem to mingle together, these two families but the 2nd mamma is getting good security moving with the first family as they graze.  I wonder where her mate is or if he's met his end before now.  You never know with Mother Nature.
It will be fun watching both clutches grow up.

I got out this afternoon and transplanted my 3 tomato plants and my lemon thyme.  My order from Territorial Seed was cancelled because they could not get it shipped in a timely manner due to the bad weather they suffered in Oregon this spring.  So I made do with the 3 I bought locally.  I'll take pictures tomorrow.
Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment