Thursday, May 4, 2017

Easy and Quick Skillet Lasagna

This was my second attempt with this recipe and it worked out fine.  The first time was much too thick so I had to tweak it a bit.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
1 LB.  80% or 85% Ground Beef
1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 Oven-ready (or partially-boiled regular) Lasagna Noodles
One 28-oz can Tomato Sauce
2 Cups Water
Seasonings to taste like Oregano, Italian Seasoning, or whatever you prefer for flavor.
1/3 to 1 Cup of Shredded Cheese that you like.
(The amount of cheese depends on how well you like cheese in your lasagna).

Procedure:
In a large skillet add oil and the chopped garlic.  Cook together for a minute.  Add the ground beef, break up into small pieces and brown till cooked thru.  Drain the excess oil from the pan, leaving the ground beef.

You will need 8 lasagna noodles.  Oven-ready makes it easier.  No boiling needed beforehand.  If you don't have oven-ready, par-boil 8 noodles til nearly done.
Break up the noodles into approx. 2-inch pieces and add to the skillet atop the beef.

These are oven-ready so easy to break up.   Smaller bits are fine so don't worry about them.

Pour your can of sauce and 2 cups water over the noodles.  Add any seasonings you prefer, including the crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
Cover the skillet and allow to cook on vigorous simmer for about 20 mins. or until the noodles are tender.  Stir the contents occasionally so it doesn't stick or burn on the bottom.
Don't worry about the liquid.  The sauce will thicken quite a bit so it won't be too soupy when its done.

While that's happening, shred or grate your cheese.  I prefer sharp cheddar but not too much.  I love some cheeses, but not smothering my noodles and beef, so I only add 1/3 Cup of shredded sharp cheddar to my skillet.

When the noodles are tender, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top of the skillet's contents. Remove the skillet from heat.  Cover it and set aside.

Having an electric range, I set my skillet on another burner and cover it.

In 3-5 minutes covered, your cheese will melt over the top of your lasagna. 
Serve immediately or set aside and serve a bit later.  You can save this in the refrigerator in a covered container and reheat on another day.  Its very good as leftovers.

I had leftovers for lunch today.  I just reheated some on a plate for 1 1/ 2 mins. in the microwave, added a bit more salt and pepper to my taste, and I was quite content.

Have a good day.

2 comments:

  1. I am so hungry for some lasagna now! I have not had any for a long time. I will have to make it in my new Copperchef XL very soon! Thanks for the idea!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how you like cooking in copper. I've wondered if it was worth the cost of buying a new skillet.
    quiltbea

    ReplyDelete