Tuesday, March 27, 2018

I Know Spring Is Coming!

Sometimes its hard to see it, but I know spring is coming.  Dog and I took our morning walk and I brought my camera along.
This is the greenery of a couple of our Iris poking thru the soil.

Here we find a cluster of Hyacinth making  some headway.

Our temps are still mighty cold at nite, only in the 20s, so these are stalwart and brave little guys trying to give us spring.  Days lately only in the high 30sF or low 40sF.

The view from our back door on the patio.  The bridge separates our town from our next door neighbor.  As you can see, snow still covers a good portion of the acreage.

The river is high but calm.  The reservoir full to the brim.  The Pampas grass continually give us some color thru the long, cold, white winter.  But today its sunny and the sky is blue.  Cold, but sunny which is promising.

I should be in Florida these cold months, but alas, my purse keeps me in Maine.  Still, I have other interests this year.  I have given up being a gardener, for a few reasons.  One, the old back does not take kindly to bending over and the knees fail to kneel.  I found that keeping tomatoes and lettuce in pots last year was not conducive to my needs.  I got very few to harvest.  It was not worth all the time and effort I put into those pots.  I would rather spend my money buying local organic produce than lose money trying to grow my own.
I can see me maybe buying another pot of something, just to keep in my green thumb, but I had to find other interests for my time.

I found it.  SPORTS!  I can hardly believe it myself.  I haven't followed sports for many a year.  The Red Sox still had Carl Yaztremski as a catcher.  Sorry Carl, if I misspelled you name.  My mind does not like to tackle names, never has even as a youth.  
That tells you how long ago its been.  But I watched a few football games this winter and though I never would watch them ever before, I find they are a way to use up my time.  
Now Baseball, that's a different matter.  I watched a replay of a game played between the Red Sox and the Orioles last Sept, a game that went for 11 innings.  I had a few of the players connected in my head before the end of the game and I found I enjoyed watching it.
I am a convert.  A baseball fan.  A Red Sox fan especially.
That means between sewing and reading and watching Britcoms and BritMysteries, I will be watching Baseball this year.

Now I have not given up sewing entirely.  I have finished the pertinent wall hangings for the special Holidays and events, and now find time on my hands.  I ordered a kit online from Keepsake Quilting but this is a Winter/Christmas kit so I have time to work on that whenever the mood strikes me.
Here is the kit which includes all the laser-cut pieces I need plus some of the other fabric.  I love all things with snowmen and also birds during the winter so this fits in with my love of Christmas.  I will enjoy making up this wall hanging to fit on my door. 
Most quilters have heard of McKenna Ryan.  She makes lovely quilts of nature, animals, usually the wild ones in the forest.  I am happy she made up this one for those of us into Snowmen.

As to other sewing projects, I have several in mind.  Some that are not too involved and if you knew me, you know I love to draw and make designs so there will be other quilt projects on the drawing board thru the weeks.  There is no chance of me being stone idle.

Have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment