Friday, March 2, 2018

I Made Italian Pizzals (Fried Dough)

My son was coming over for a visit and I haven't made Pizzals for a long time but they are a family favorite.

This time I took the easy route.  I bought frozen pizza dough.
Defrosted it.
Placed it on a floured board.
Shaped it into a long narrow loaf.
Cut it into a dozen pieces.
Flattened the pieces and shaped them sort of round.
Let them rise on a couple of floured cookie sheets covered with a towel.
In about 45 minutes they had risen a bit.

I put about 3/4 inch of oil in a skillet and heated it til hot but not bubbling.
Placed the dough pieces in the skillet gently, leaving some space around each one.
They rise more as they cook.
When I could see darkened color around the edges of the dough pieces, I turned them over to cook on the other side.
When both sides had browned, I removed them with a slotted spoon to a paper towel.
Immediately dipped them or  sprinkled them with the choices that are favored by the eaters.

These were dipped in cinnamon sugar.

Three of these were dipped in granulated sugar and one in cinnamon sugar. I shook the excess sugar off before I ate them.

Some like them plain, I like them dipped in granulated sugar.  Others prefer cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

The main difference between these and carnival fried dough is that these are light and fluffy.  No feeling of eating heavy grease with these.

This is the way I prefer them.  Don't get me wrong.  Country fair and carnival fried dough is a mainstay and good.  I just prefer mine a bit lighter on their downward slide.

I will make these again soon when my family is expected.

Have a nice day.



No comments:

Post a Comment