Sunday, June 7, 2015

America Pharoah wins the Triple Crown June 6th 2015

What a wonderful surprise.  I always watch the Triple Crown races.  I've loved horses all my life and had my own sweet sorrel, Smokey Rebel, many years ago.
I was so busy working in the gardens, I forgot about the race.  Luckily I had thought to set my satellite box to record it.  Last nite when I finally settled into my recliner, I turned on the TV and there it was listed, the Belmont Stakes.
Imagine my surprise when American Pharoah won it, thereby winning the coveted Triple Crown, not won since 1978 by Affirmed.  That means he won the Kentucky Derby, then the Preakness Stakes, and finally the Belmont Stakes.  He's one of very few to join that club of fantastic thoroughbreds.
Watching the race, I was moved to remark how effortlessly this horse moved.  Reminded me of the great Secretariat, a horse I fell in love with in the early 70s.  He, too, moved so easily, he never looked like he was even trying.  And he too, won the Triple Crown, leading by several lengths in each of his races, and in one of them, by 19 lengths. 
So I salute you, American Pharoah, and wish you a wonderful future.

No comments:

Post a Comment